Financial Insights

Airtel gains new subscribers in Feb while Jio and Vodafone lose: TRAI

Bharti Airtel was the only teleco to add new subscribers in February 2022, 1.59 million of them, while Reliance Jio lost 3.66 million and Vodafone Idea lost 1.53 million users according to data provided by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).

Even though Airtel gained and Jio lost a substantial number of users, Jio still stood at the top with 402.73 million subscribers, followed by Airtel at 358.07 million and Vodafone in third place with, surprisingly, 263.59 million. Jio still holds 35.28% of the entire mobile subscribers base.

BSNL and MTNL, the largest players in telecomm, hold 9.98% and 0.28% respectively. This means that public telecoms held only 10.26% of active mobile users base while the remaining 89.74% was in control of private companies.

On the other hand, the tele density of the country fell from 83.43% to 83.10% in February 2022. TRAI also noted that the wireline subscribers increased from 24.21 million at the end of January to 24.52 million at the end of February.BSNL and MTNL, the two PSU access service providers, held 41.95% of the wireline market share as of February 28.

Highlight by Aman Agarwal.

Related Articles

Back to top button